Participating in a Study - What Happens After I Register?
Registration is the first step to participating in all studies conducted in McDSL. Once you are in our registration database, signing up for studies is easy.
- Based on your registration information, we determine the studies for which you are eligible. Different researchers may have different eligibility requirements.
- We run studies throughout the year and we send out e-mail invitations to participate in the studies for which you are eligible. Only those who receive an invitation may participate in a particular study.
- If you receive an invitation and if you wish to participate, sign up for one session by following the link included in your invitation email.
- We usually run several different sessions of the same study, so there are often multiple times and dates from which you can choose. Sign up for only ONE session. It is important that you only sign up for one session because you can participate in any study only once. By signing up for a session, you commit to participate in that specific session.
- If you cannot participate in one of the sessions listed in your invitation, don't sign up for any of them - you might still be able to participate in upcoming sessions which we may add for that study.
- To ensure that we have enough participants for each session, we may invite more people than are required. The first participants to arrive for the session will be selected to participate. Participants who arrive on time but who are not needed are normally compensated with a show-up payment (i.e., $5.00) and are then free to sign up for another session of the same study.
- Participation in our studies is normally rewarded with cash payment, although this can vary from one study to the next. Some studies pay a fixed amount. Other studies may pay an amount based on your earnings during the study and this may depend on your decisions and, sometimes, the decisions made by other participants. Expected payment is always noted in your invitation email and explained in detail when you begin the study.
- It is important to arrive on time. Otherwise, the entire session may need to be cancelled. This is unfair to the other participants and to us.
- Upon arrival, before participating in a study, you will be required to sign a consent form in person.
- We often have different researchers running several different studies concurrently and we may invite you to participate in these different studies. If you meet the eligibility requirements set by researchers, you may be able to participate in many different studies if you want.
- Eligibility requirements are established by individual researchers and may involve the participation of only first year students or students in particular fields of study, for example. Different studies may have different eligibility requirements.
- You cannot sign yourself up for a study - you must be invited by us to participate and then you can choose one of the several sessions on different dates and times.
- We may contact you in the future about other studies being conducted by researchers in the McMaster Decision Science Laboratory.
- And don't forget to tell others about us! We are always looking for more people to register and participate in the studies we conduct here in the McDSL Lab.
For questions please contact email@example.com.